Friday, January 27, 2012

The simplicity of the complication

For the past few months, whenever someone comes to me for advice, as I am listening to their problem, the first thought that comes to my mind is, "Why is this so complicated? Why is this person not able to understand that the only thing they need to do is strive to make life simpler?"

The answer, is that complications are simple. The way I see it, most people like to keep their lives in a mess because the simple truth is sometimes too much to handle. Also, it is easier to do what your brain says than what your heart is thumping out to you. Admit it, we have all done the easier thing in a choice situation at least once. I have. And it has been short term gain but in the long run, it has always come back to bite me.

So my solution to my own problems? Do what you think is tougher to do. Because that is usually the right thing to do. Lately, there have been some major issues to deal with. It is very easy to get emotional and cloud your judgement. Why wouldn't we be emotional? We are human after all. But emotions don't always help. They NEVER help, is what I have concluded from my various, emm, bad decisions, shall we call them? The only thing that helps when you are emotional is to take a deep breath, think of anything but the situation, and wait for it to subside. Phone calls, emails, texts, any form of communication with the concerned person needs to be avoided, at all costs. A crying/yelling phone call has never done anyone any good.

I admit it, I have done all this in my past. I have sent numerous scathing messages/emails in the throes of anger/despair/jealousy and hurt people. And it is just not something I would do now. Hence, I shut down. In anger, it is always more prudent to take care of it yourself than unload it on others.

As they say, Happiness, when shared, grows. But then, so does Misery.

We need to LIVE life. Simply.

1 comment:

DeJaVu said...

simple, straightforward yet brilliant! Its amazing how I feel you have captured the truth that each of us feels at some point in time. Keep writing often my friend!