Monday, June 24, 2013

My nemesis, me.

Too often has my mom told me, in much harsher words, “You are just the laziest person I have ever seen”. I always brush it aside and say, Ok, I like it. But these days, too many people have been pointing out how I am too comfortable with what I have. Be it professionally or in the personal aspects, I have always been very fond of familiarity. And lately, I am wondering if that is such a good thing.
For far too long, I have always wanted to be around things/people that know me, and that I know well. And this has been possible because I have stuck to the same job for 4 years now. Just one job out of college, and 4 years on, still pretty much the same faces around. The same office building, the same route to-from office, the same cafeteria, the same color schemes around the work desk. And for the past year or so, even the same team to work with. Make no mistake, I am not complaining about my office. I love the place. I like the work. But how long is long enough? How much time spent in a job is enough? These are things that I did not think about a year back, but now I am. Simply because, probably, I need some change.
I have lived all my life in Mumbai. 25 years. Of which 22 I have spent in pretty much the same locality. 12 of which I have spent in the same house. I have never had to live out of my house, and I know people who have lived all their lives outside, for education or work, who keep telling me how lucky I am. But honestly, am I? I make no assumptions about how independent I am. I am not. I am too used to my mother’s cooking, and if put in a situation where I have to fend for myself, I will probably not fair too well initially. But, the issue is, I have never been put in the situation till now. So I won’t know. I might fail, I might learn, I might be miserable for a while, but I still need to try it. How? I have NO clue. How does one leave one’s own comfort zone and push oneself into the storm? I don’t know if I can, because I have never tried it.
Also, I am EXTREMELY lazy. To the extent that I won’t exercise to lose weight even though I know I have a knee injury that kind of makes it imperative to lose weight. I take up a lot of things and let them go. The enthusiasm fizzles out, and then I have no idea how to sustain the effort. There is barely any self-motivation right now. Probably because the stakes have never been high enough. And I have gotten along being average, because my average has been good enough. Don’t get me wrong, I am not boasting. I have no assumptions about how brilliant and out of this world extraordinary I am. But I have a knack for certain things, and I can get away with average effort, because even that produces good results. I don’t know how good will my full effort be. The only time I did put in everything I had, was in the 12th Board exams, and I did fairly well then. Actually, I did very well. Surpassed all expectations by a healthy margin, and then some. So yes, I know I can do good things with what I have. I just don’t know HOW to get started on them. How to break this lethargy and get on with life.

Any pointers guys?

2 comments:

MkHOLA said...

U can never improve. U can let your battery discharge and dont care to meet up or even call up to be remotely sorry.
good you mom recognises your laziness and wish your wife (GF -Sorry you just dont have it in now)will kick you hard and make you realise.

Anonymous said...

You seem confused about what it is you want. For motivation, you need specific goals. What are your goals? For example 'A change of environment' can never be a motivation for changing a job. However, money or a better position can. Your did well in your 12th standard, either because you wanted the freedom of choosing your career or to prove to others that you can do well. You definitely had good reasons to work herd then. Similaryly, all you need right now is good reasons to push you forward! Mind you they must be your own reasoning, and not your mum or a friend's.